Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Shelly's Shepherds Pie

This is the very first shepherds pie I've ever made... which isn't that surprising because I've only liked shepherds pie for about a year! I used to hate my food touching, so shepherds pie was my worst nightmare. To this day, this food-touching anxiety creeps up on me and I have to talk myself down from the ledge and remind myself that it's my a big deal.

So the shepherds pie idea came to me out of pure necessity. I made potato skins last week and had a huge bowl of mashed potatoes to use up! Someone suggested shepherds pie, to which I gave them my yuck face. However, the idea grew on me, so I conducted some google research and decided to give it a try. Here's what it's all about...

Shelly's Shepherds Pie (Recipe adapted from Simplyrecipes.com)

Ingredients:
2 tbsps butter
1 white onion chopped
1 head of garlic minced (what? I like a lot of garlic!)
1 lb ground chicken (or more if you want it really meaty)
2 pkgs beef bouillon
1/ cup water
2 tablespoons Worcestershire (what a dumb word)
3 cups frozen mixed veg (peas, carrots, corn)
Salt and pepper
Mashed potatoes (I whipped mine with sour cream, then salt and peppered them)


Directions:
Preheat oven to 400•. Sautée onion and garlic until translucent, then add in chicken and cook until no longer pink. Add in Worcestershire and bouillon and season to taste. Then throw your vegetables in and let them cook for a couple of minutes. Throw the meat mixture jnto a 9 x 11 glass baking dish. Next is the in part, spread the mash potatoes over the meat and smooth it out or make it swirly, whatever you want. Bake it for 30 minutes. You can broil it at the very end if you're looking for a crispier top. Enjoy! Here's some pics...

Shelly's Shepherds Pie RecipeShelly's Shepherds Pie Recipe
Shelly's Shepherds Pie Recipe
Shelly's Shepherds Pie RecipeShelly's Shepherds Pie Recipe
Shelly's Shepherds Pie RecipeShelly's Shepherds Pie Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment